check Evidence of life on Will's water video image!

8 years 8 months ago #2156 by Dawn
Hey all, if you haven't already checked out Will's latest video "More Water/Liquid Seeping", it's another good one. In addition to the water find, I noticed this on the second image link he posted.

In the far upper right hand corner of the image, you can clearly see sand being kicked out from under the ledge! In addition, there's a pile of sand just below this, indicating the digging has been ongoing for some time. Check it out and tell me what you think!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haymaker

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Dawn
  • Dawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #2174 by Haymaker
Replied by Haymaker on topic Evidence of life on Will's water video image!
The same section of rock is imaged on sol 147. This is image 147A below . I had to enlarge this. There is no sign of dust/sand haze compared to sol 148. The pile of sand appears to be present. But that could he - if there is a critter - the result of work over more than one sol. Also think there is evidence of similar hazes in at least two other images on Sol 147 and 149. See what you think.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01048/mcam/1048MR0046150000104525E01_DXXX.jpg
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01047/mcam/1047ML0046000140306016E01_DXXX.jpg
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01048/mcam/1048MR0046150000104525E01_DXXX.jpg
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/01049/mcam/1049MR0046170030104552E01_DXXX.jpg
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Haymaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn

More
8 years 8 months ago #2175 by Todd
Hard to say what that blur is but the right mastcam is probably at its shortest focal length, which is 2.1 meters. The haze could be dust on the lens that is only occasionally visible during the short focal length exposures. It might be something to look out for on future short focal length right mastcam images.
www.msss.com/science/msl-mastcam-instrument-description.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn, Haymaker

More
8 years 8 months ago #2184 by Dawn
Nice detective work, Haymaker, thank you. Looking at the different images, I think you and Todd could very well be correct. Look at the faint vertical lines in the "flying dust" on both 1048 and 1049--could that be some kind of internal camera structure reflected? Plus, comparing 1047A and 1048, I can't make out much if any difference in the sand pile--if something is excavating, I'd think the pile would be larger on 1048 (although the focus isn't too hot on 1047A) ****sigh****I got a little excited, there! But, as I heard on one of my favorite TV series "Ghost Hunters", "When in doubt, throw it out." LOL, it's just a TV show, but it's actually good advice. Thanks you two!!!

• Dawn
  • Dawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: