file AS15-P-0315: Lunar Structures in the Hills Near Danjon Crater ?

8 years 8 months ago #2473 by Todd
This Apollo 15 panoramic, AS15-P-0315 , shows a hilly region between Danjon Crater and Langemak Crater , Northwest of Tsiolkovskiy. At the base of these hills there appear to be multiple structures present. The images below were processed from the NASA/JSC/ASU raw tif tiles 6 & 7.

NASA/JSC/Arizona State University Original
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dawn, Cruisedad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #2490 by Keith
excellent stuff Todd. The tiles are very revealing to say the least.

We've been waiting and pushing for the Apollo data to be done in this manner a long time, good to see it bearing fruit.

lots of geometry in those.

More
8 years 7 months ago #2491 by Todd
Thanks and welcome Keith. A lot of the stuff I have learned over the years, I learned from you. :P

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #2493 by Todd
I urge anyone here who's interested in Lunar anomalies and has the ability to deal with the large file size, to browse through some of the raw tif tile scans. They make the zoom browser version look like a thumbnail. I haven't seen Lunar topography like the kind of stuff visible in the ASU panoramic scans, except in maybe a couple of high res Lunar Orbiter images. I try to present a decent sample here, but they are so large and there is so much in them.

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #2495 by Keith
Glad to know I had a good effect on you,
and it looks like you've done your part just fine.

Indeed. We need all the eyes we can get on these photos
With the release of this data they have pretty much laid it all out there.
most of the tiles are ~1.9 gb, and do in fact make the maxed browse images look like thumbs.
The raw scans do need a little bit of work, but are well worth the effort.
they can be a bit of a pain to process however due to the size.
One way around this is to save the raw scan tif as a non-optimized png, or even a lowest compression jpeg, and then use that to adjust, (cuts the file size down by 1/2 or less) you're hardly going to have to resize anything on them, but if you do find the need to, neither of those schemes will hurt anything detail-wise.

I could spend days in very few images, these are that good.

More
8 years 7 months ago #2507 by Todd
Yes, good advice, thanks again. I notice that images in your orbital gallery have details on them that do not exist in the JSC scans. A good example would be your version of AS11-41-6121 vs. the surface journal version. Do you know if there are any plans to re-scan the 70mm orbital and surface Hasselblads in the future? What's out there now seems spotty.

• Todd
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 7 months ago #2511 by Keith
I put that collection together back when it was really difficult to get any sort of consistency in quality of the Apollo photos. (that condition still exists, but is lessened) That particular image scan (iirc) came from the low-gen personal collection of a certain lunar geologist who like Ken Johnston saved the collection of photos they were given to work with. I can't remember exactly which ones, but several of the images in there are from him, every one is amazingly clear.

It is my understanding that the Apollo Image archive is to scan and display EVERY Apollo photo, and apparently they did the easiest ones first (magazine rolls for the Metric and Panoramic cameras are much easier to deal with than the many many Hasselblad mags)
In fact, it is uncanny you asked that, because I had just yesterday shot their office that same question.

Perhaps it may step on some toes at the ALSJ for them to do so?
Honestly though, who cares if it does? These are OUR Hasselblad photos, and even though they have shown us many nice photos, and have done a lot of work on their images, they are not to the same standard as the ASU scans, and for that matter, not many people of our genre trust them very much.
I'm sure we want them done to the same quality as the Pans and Metrics and from the cold room original films
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd, Dawn

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: