file Von Neumann Crater

9 years 4 months ago #510 by Todd
Von Neumann Crater was created by Todd
Greetings all! Back in 2006 I came across a Lunar Orbiter V image on the USGS Lunar Orbiter Digitization site. The image, V-103-h2 , shows Von Neumann Crater and the surrounding area near 40.4°N/153.2°E. For me, the image is one of the best "mining the Moon" pictures ever taken. On 11/19/06 I posted a few enhanced crops on a popular forum. That thread has since disappeared, at least for now. I was amazed at what appeared to be a trench or construction network between craters.

The image also shows occasional cross structures, similar to what George H. Leonard referred to as "X-Drones" in his 1976 book " Somebody Else is on the Moon ."

In the shadows of Von Nuemann crater itself was what I speculated might be the giant land moving equipment responsible for the potential network between craters.

After I put the image up, on 11/22/06, this was the NASA Astronomy Picture of the day . Probably just an ironic coincidence, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillFarrar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #517 by WillFarrar
Replied by WillFarrar on topic Von Neumann Crater
This is awesome! I am not sure I have seen this one either! I have been getting bored of Mar's lately so this is perfect for me to go take a look at!

No coincidences in my world :)

Will

More
9 years 4 months ago #518 by Todd
Replied by Todd on topic Von Neumann Crater
The crater was named after mathematician John Von Neumann who was credited with the theory of self replicating probes. It's my understanding the Lunar monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" created by Arthur C. Clarke was based on the Von Neumann replicating theory.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: