check Scaliger Crater Composite from AS15-P-9945 (GigaPan)

6 years 4 months ago #11113 by Todd
Another large composite made from AS15-P-9945, tile 6 & 7, showing the North, Northwest section of Scaliger Crater.

www.gigapan.com/gigapans/205200

wms.lroc.asu.edu/apollo/view?camera=P&image_name=AS15-P-9945
planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Feature/5352
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glitch_Neo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #11120 by Glitch_Neo
Wow Todd - Really nice depth and tone - Awesome man!

Some interesting "Geometric" shapes in this area - all seem to be in or near craters - Could this me Mineral Collection via some means? ;) There seems to be tall structures - very 'Tower' like... There is a lot once your eyes tap into the high contrast (which you have softened well ;) )

(Wow it's tricky to not describe things as we would on earth... That translates too = Buildings / mining facilities....) :whistle:

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Glitch_Neo.

More
6 years 4 months ago #11122 by Todd

(Wow it's tricky to not describe things as we would on earth... That translates too = Buildings / mining facilities....) :whistle:

It is an astounding image. There appear to be a few square, round, and triangular alignments that could indicate structures, walls, etc. We're not setting rules for descriptive terminology here, I was personally suggesting we align our descriptions with how archaeology is presented. After all, you don't want a "pickup truck" thread to come back and haunt you years from now. Certainly orbital descriptions will differ from the MSL stuff. Just know that "nicknames" will sometimes be taken literally and occasionally intentionally literally. Personally, I think "buildings and structures" are reasonable speculation on orbital images, but when saying "mining facilities" you would be assigning a purpose and might want to follow up with additional information other than just the geometry to correspond with that theory. If you see a nearby object that resembles the Bucket Wheel Excavator , than mining facility does not seem like that far of a stretch. :)

• Todd
  • Todd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #11128 by Glitch_Neo
Very well put -

I see, the latter statement "mining facility" is only conjecture without anything more to back up the claims. However from the geometric shapes we could assume buildings with out too much sweat ;)

I wasn't taking he micky by the way, just trying to put less of the emphasis on comparing apples and pears.... if you catch my drift... (whoa thats a bit 80's Neal :unsure: )
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Glitch_Neo.

More

Featured Article Of The Week:

Click Here To View Article / Video / Enhanced Images

YouTube User:  WhatsUpInTheSky37 

Thank you to everyone who has stuck by the YouTube channel and to all of our admins and forum users here on the channel.   They really have kept the website current while I have been busy taking care of things in my personal life.   I promised that the next video would be a long one and have a LOT to look at.  You can get lost in these Gigapans and I really hope that you do!  I spent a lot of time stitching these together and making sure that they were the best quality that I could get them.  SOL 1448 really has been a goldmine for anomaly hunters and those people who are just hobbiest.  I really hope you enjoy this one and expect much more to come from the latest batches of images!

top1top2top3top5
mid1
bot1bot2bot3bot4bot5bot6
verybot

Follow Us:

Logon: